Monday, September 24

Defecting from Facebookland

It's an experiment, people.

Sending my thoughts out into the ether all the time can be lonely. Especially when I turn away from the phone or computer, and there is still no one else in the house.

If I leave Facebook, people will not automatically feel as if they know how I am because I posted.

What if I leave Facebook and see more people I love face-to-face or talk to them on the phone more often? What if I am able to be more authentic in person than I am in front of 450+ people, and that leads to deeper friendships? What if my friends and I had to actively seek each other out? Would we value each other more? Maybe. What if, when I'm having a bad day, I actually pray, or go on a walk, or seek out a real hug, or clean something, or do some yoga instead of check my News Feed?

What if friends from out of town come and go, and I don't get to see them because I missed their post? What if I have built such an encouraging online world that to be separated from it is a loneliness in itself? What if Facebook has become a creative outlet for me, and I write less because I'm not on it? What if people I love deeply are in need and I never find out how to pray or to help because I missed it on Facebook?

It's an experiment.

I plan to be off of Facebook until at least after the elections. I can skip all that political posturing and drama this year, I really can.

In the meantime, I'll miss you. Until you call. Or email. Or meet me for tea.

And so begins the experiment.


1 comment:

  1. I want to see you next time I am in Wichita so I will look for you. Will selfishly miss your posts because I find you witty and fun but I love you on or off facebook and long to connect in person when our paths don't include 500 some miles of highway in between us. Love you Nyleen, Jenne Ramsey

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog